Warranty Terms and Conditions
This new Vehicle Warranty applies to new and demonstrator SsangYong vehicles first delivered to customers from 1st September 2018.
SsangYong Australia warrants:
Each new SsangYong vehicle imported into Australia by SsangYong Australia (SYAU) is covered by a warranty for 7 years, bumper to bumper.
New Vehicle - warranty commencement
SsangYong warranty begins on the day the new vehicle is first registered by a SsangYong dealer.
Ex-demonstrator Vehicle – warranty commencement
The SsangYong warranty on ex-demonstrator vehicles begins when the vehicle is first registered by the SsangYong dealer and put into service as a demonstrator vehicle. You will be entitled to the balance of the vehicle warranty period remaining at the date of your purchase. *
* Exception - In Western Australia, the warranty period begins from the date of purchase of the ex-demonstrator vehicle, however the kilometre limit (if applicable) commences from the date when the vehicle was put into service as a demonstrator vehicle.
All benefits to the consumer given by this warranty are in addition to other rights and remedies under the Australian Consumer Law.
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. Consumers are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage.
Consumers are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
What is Covered:
SsangYong Australia warrants your new SsangYong vehicle to be free from defects in material or workmanship, subject to the terms and conditions in this document including the following sections:
- What SYAU will do
- Tyre Warranty
- Battery Warranty
- Wear and Tear Parts Warranty
- Owner's Responsibility
- What is not covered
- A SsangYong Dealer will make the necessary repairs, using only genuine SsangYong parts, to correct any defects in material or workmanship covered by this warranty without any charge to you except where items are expressly excluded or where a separate warranty applies.
- All parts replaced under this warranty become the property of SYAU.
- Warranty repairs or parts replacement will be performed by an authorized dealer at its place of business within a reasonable time after delivery of the vehicle to the dealer during normal business hours for the motor vehicle service industry.
To help the customer secure maximum satisfaction from the new vehicle, SYAU confirms that each new vehicle has been inspected and conditioned according to SYAU new vehicle pre-delivery inspection (PDI) procedure. Warranty repairs or replacement will be made at no charge for parts or labour by authorised SsangYong dealers. A reasonable time to complete the repairs must be allowed after the vehicle is delivered to the dealer.
As the tyres originally installed on new vehicles are also warranted by the tyre manufacturer and they have local representatives, we ask that customers present the unserviceable tyre(s) to the tyre manufacture’s local representative, unless otherwise directed by SYAU. Any SsangYong dealer will assist the owner in requesting tyre warranty service through the tyre manufacture’s local representative, if necessary.
The original battery installed in a new SsangYong Vehicle is covered by warranty for 2 years (24 months) or 30,000 km (whichever occurs first), from the vehicle warranty commencement date.
Below is a summary of the SYAU warranty applicable to wear and tear items:
- Accessory Drive Belts:
All accessory drive belts are wear and tear items. They are covered by warranty for 24 months or 40,000 kms (whichever comes first) when a manufacturing defect is evident: - e.g. separation, tear, breakage.
- Adjustments, Rattles and Squeaks:
Covered for up to 3 months or 3,000 kms (whichever comes first).
- Air Conditioning Gas:
Replenishing air conditioning gas is a maintenance item and is only covered by warranty if it is necessary due to replacement of an air conditioning item under warranty. Recharge with dye for diagnosis is not warrantable unless the diagnosis reveals that replacement of an air conditioning item is covered under warranty.
- Brake Pads and Shoes:
All brake pads and shoes are wear and tear items. They are covered by warranty for 6 month or 5,000 kms (whichever comes first) when a manufacturing defect is evident. Excessive or pre-mature wear caused by abnormal driving style is no covered by Ssangyong warranty.
- Brake Rotors (Discs), and Drums:
Brake rotors and drums are wear and tear items. They are covered by warranty if the thickness falls below minimum legal thickness (after machining) within 20,000 kms from the warranty start date. Excessive or pre-mature wear caused by abnormal driving style is not covered by warranty.
Covered by warranty for 6 months from the Warranty Start Date. Excessive or pre-mature wear caused by abnormal conditions is not covered by warranty.
- Oils, Coolant, and other Fluids:
Covered by warranty only when associated with a replacement of a component under warranty.
- Properly use, maintain (including service according to the vehicle service requirements) and care for the vehicle in accordance with the instructions in the owner’s manual.
- At time of new vehicle delivery to thoroughly check the vehicle interior and exterior and report any damage to the selling dealer both verbally and in writing on the vehicle/customer - SsangYong Delivery Checklist for new vehicles.
- Keep maintenance service and inspection records for the vehicle for use in the event that a question should arise concerning the vehicle’s maintenance and provide them to any subsequent owner of the vehicle.
- Notify SsangYong in the event of a change of ownership of the vehicle. (See SYAU contact details later in this handbook)
- Damage due to misuse
(e.g. overloading or racing), accident, abuse, theft, fire damage, malfunctions or failures resulting from misuse, negligence, and accidents.
- Damage due to lack of maintenance or improper maintenance.
Damage, malfunctions or failures resulting from lack of required maintenance in accordance with the owner’s manual or improper maintenance, which has caused or contributed to the failure. Owners will not be responsible if the lack of maintenance or the improper maintenance was due to the actions of an authorised SsangYong dealer.
- Damage or surface corrosion from severe environmental conditions.
Environmental damage resulting from airborne fallout (e.g., chemicals, tree sap etc.), salt, hail, earthquake, water or flood, windstorms, hurricanes, lighting etc. are not covered.
- Items affected by wear, weather exposure etc.
Defects which have arisen from the owner’s negligence, accidents, misuse, abnormal wear and tear or weather exposure. The repair or replacement of items, such as body panels, glass, soft trim, plated parts, bumpers and other appearance items, wiper blades, brake shoe lining or disc brake pads, drums or rotors, chassis springs, shock absorbers, and clutch plates and facings (on vehicles equipped with manual transmissions) will only be covered by the warranty if they are clearly defective due to defective materials or workmanship.
- Improper fuel and lubricant
Warranty does not cover problems caused or contributed to by using improper fuel and lubricants. Proper fuel and lubricants are specified in the owner’s manual or workshop manual for the vehicle.
- Regular maintenance
Regular maintenance work such as adjustment of headlamp, clutch, belts, engine tuning, wheel balancing, cleaning, polishing, lubricating, and replacing filters, injection nozzles, clutch plates or facings and worn-out brake linings or pads are not covered under warranty.
- Extra expenses
To the extent permitted by law, the warranty does not cover any economic loss including (without limitation) payment for the loss of time or pay, inconvenience, loss of vehicle use, vehicle rental expense, loading bills, food, fuel, other travel costs and vehicle storage costs.
- Odometer alteration
No coverage is provided to any vehicle where odometer readings have been altered without approval from SYAU.
- Failure caused by non-genuine parts
Any failure caused or contributed to by installation of a non-genuine part, will not be covered by warranty.
- Failure from previous repair
Any failure caused or contributed to by improper repairs will not be covered by warranty.
- Glass breakage due to impact
Replacement of glass is not covered by the warranty if required due to outside factors such as scratches, chips, cracks and breakage that are not manufacturing defects. Replacement of glass is covered by warranty if required due to defects, such as air bubbles, separation/lamination.
- Unauthorised Modifications
Any modification, alteration, addition, or deletions from the new vehicle (unless authorised by SYAU) is not covered by warranty nor is any failure or damage caused or contributed to by such modifications.
- Unauthorised use of vehicle
Any problems caused or contributed to by driving the vehicle at such speed, towing or loading it with cargo in a manner which exceeds the recommended limits set out in the owner’s and driver’s manual or in local laws or regulations, will not be covered by warranty.
- Any problem(s) arising from repairs performed by any person or entity other than SYAU or its authorised repairer will not be covered by warranty.
Headlights, brake linings, clutch, belts, engine tuning, wheel balancing and other routine servicing are not covered under warranty unless they were incorrectly adjusted or tuned at the time of vehicle delivery.
- Problems arising from consumable spare parts
such as spark plugs, electrical bulbs (excluding sealed beam lamps), fuses, contact points & arms, filters, wiper blades due to normal wear and tear, glow plugs and brake & clutch linings (in case of glow plugs and linings, excluding defects in manufacture or materials) will not be covered by warranty.
(interior and exterior) - Normal deterioration due to wear and tear is not covered by warranty.
- General Brake Adjustments
not covered by warranty unless incorrectly adjusted at the time of vehicle delivery.
- General Brake Bleeding is not covered by warranty unless associated with the replacement of a brake component under warranty.
- Any fault or damage
Caused or contributed to by installation of any improper equipment on the vehicle chassis will not be covered by warranty.
- To the extent permitted by law, warranty will not cover consequential loss or damage such as loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of the vehicle or other consequential damage.
Proper maintenance and care of the vehicle is essential for safe driving and lower overall running cost. The periodic maintenance service comprises the minimum requirements for servicing which should be performed as per the service interval instructions provided in the service manual for the vehicle.
Additional vehicle maintenance may be required where weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, varying roads, vehicle usage and individual driving habits necessitate additional maintenance. SsangYong dealers will be able to advise if additional maintenance is required in the circumstances.
All benefits to the consumer given by this warranty are in addition to the other rights and remedies under the Act. SYAU goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law.
Consumers are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. Consumers are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
Customers must take their vehicle to an authorised SsangYong dealer to obtain warranty service in case of any warranty claim.
- Customers must bring the Service & Warranty Handbook to the SsangYong dealer for vehicle warranty service.
- Customers are responsible for proper maintenance and care of their SsangYong vehicle in accordance with the instructions provided in the vehicle Owner’s Manual and service manual.
- Where a vehicle is serviced outside the SsangYong dealer network and customers are seeking a warranty repair, they must provide copies of the invoice and all maintenance records. This will be necessary as evidence that the required maintenance has been performed on the vehicle as per the manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations.
- When customers change residence/address, or a vehicle changes ownership, customers are requested to notify SsangYong Australia by calling Customer support on 1800 431 333 (9am to 5pm business days AEST)
SYAU warrants all genuine SYAU accessories to be free from defects in material or workmanship during normal use as set out below. For new vehicles and accessories purchased from 1 January 2023.
Accessories Fitted to New Vehicles
SYAU genuine accessories purchased from and fitted by an authorised SsangYong dealer to a new vehicle at the time of purchase or delivery are warranted for 5 years unless otherwise stated. Customers should retain proof of purchase to support warranty claims.
Accessories Purchased over the counter (post vehicle delivery)
- Fitted by an Authorised SsangYong Dealer:
SYAU genuine accessories purchased over the counter from an authorised SsangYong dealer and installed by an authorised SsangYong dealer are warranted from the date of purchase for 2 years, 40,000 km, or the remainder of the Accessory warranty 5Yrs., (whichever is greater). Customers should retain proof of purchase to support warranty claims.
- Not fitted by an Authorised SsangYong Dealer:
SYAU genuine accessories purchased over the counter from an authorised SsangYong dealer but not installed by an authorised SsangYong dealer are warranted from the date of purchase for 2 years or 40,000 km (whichever comes first).
Customers should retain proof of purchase to support warranty claims. To the extent permitted by law, where a SYAU genuine accessory is replaced under warranty, the labour costs of removing the old accessory and fitting the new accessory may not be covered under warranty. SYAU’s obligations under this warranty are limited to the replacement or repair at its option of any accessory. If an accessory is covered by warranty, SYAU may require the old accessory to be handed in to an authorised SsangYong dealer.
What The Genuine Accessory Warranty Does Not Cover
- Any claim where the consumer is unable to provide evidence to substantiate and validate the date when the accessory was purchased and installed on the vehicle.
- Any failure resulting from owner negligence, alteration, accident, use of the accessory in a way it was not designed or approved by SsangYong Australia to be used, improper fitting, repair or replacement.
- To the extent permitted by law, warranty will not cover consequential loss or damage such as loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of the vehicle or other consequential damage. All benefits to the consumer given by this warranty are in addition to the other rights and remedies under the Act
SYAU warrants all genuine parts to be free from defects in material or workmanship under normal use as set out below.
Genuine SYAU parts purchased and fitted by an authorised SsangYong dealer
All genuine SYAU parts purchased and fitted by a SsangYong dealer are warranted for 2 years, 40,000 km or the balance of the new vehicle warranty (whichever occurs first).
Genuine SYAU Parts Purchased Over the Counter at a SsangYong dealer
Genuine SYAU parts purchased from a SsangYong dealer over the counter are warranted for 2 years or 40,000 km (whichever occurs first). Customers should retain proof of purchase to support warranty claims.
SYAU’s obligations under this warranty are limited to the replacement or repair (at its option) of any part which is covered by warranty. Faulty parts subject to a warranty claim must be returned to a dealer.
Emergency Warranty Repair by non-authorised SsangYong repairer
Unauthorised workshops do not normally carry out SsangYong warranty repairs however, customers may have a repair carried out by a non-SsangYong repairer subject to the prior approval of SsangYong Australia in the following circumstances:
- the vehicle is inoperable.
- continued operation of the vehicle would cause further damage or pose a safety problem; and/or
- an authorized dealer is not available to make the repair.
Contact SsangYong Australia on 1800 431 333 (9am to 5 pm business days) to discuss and seek prior approval for a non-SsangYong dealer repair. Customers may be required to pay the repair fee and claim it from a SsangYong dealer or SYAU by submitting documentation such as repair invoice showing parts and labour breakdown and, where possible, the workshop repair order sheet etc.
Warranty on genuine SYAU parts may not apply if it is impossible to validate the date and/or mileage when the genuine part was purchased or fitted on the vehicle. Warranty on genuine SYAU parts may not apply if the failure has resulted from negligence, alteration, accident, use of the genuine part in any manner which it was not designed or approved by SYAU to be used, improper fitting, repair or replacement.
7-Year Service Menu
The SsangYong Australia 7-Year Service Pricing Menu program will provide owners with transparent prices for the “What’s Included” in the base service items as a guide for your servicing needs.
Some exclusions apply, prices are applicable at the time of service and prices are subject to change. Servicing information and menu pricing can be found here.
Additional Service Items
Please note there will be additional service items required that are dependent upon the vehicle’s age, kms travelled, operating conditions and usage. Your SsangYong dealer is in the best position to discuss your vehicle’s service requirements and provide a competitive cost for your vehicle servicing needs.
Additional to the regular maintenance service schedules recommended by SsangYong for vehicles driven under normal operating conditions, customers need to be aware their vehicle may require more frequent maintenance if driven under severe driving conditions (see below list for examples of severe driving conditions).
Please refer to the vehicle Owner’s Manual under Periodic Checking and Maintenance section which provides further information on items with more frequent servicing requirements due to conditions which a vehicle may be subjected including (but not limited to) the following:
- Frequent short distances trips,
- Frequent operating in sandy and dusty areas,
- Idling the engine for exceptional extended periods,
- Frequent driving on rough roads such as sand, gravel, snow, and unpaved roads,
- Frequent driving on mountainous roads with severe inclines and declines,
- Use as a patrol car, taxi, commercial vehicle, towing vehicle etc,
- Frequent driving at high speeds,
- Frequent stop-and-start driving,
- Driving on roads with salt or corrosive substances or cold areas,
- Towing a trailer and/or off-road driving, and
- Frequent driving under full load.
SsangYong Customer Support
Our SsangYong dealer network is the best first point of contact for all SsangYong matters relating to vehicle purchase information, general service and parts matters and vehicle warranty support.
If your SsangYong dealer has been unable to assist with your enquiry or you require further assistance you may contact SsangYong Customer Support Centre on:
1800 431 333
(Business days 9 am to 5 pm AEST)
Note, when calling SsangYong Customer Support Centre please ensure you have your vehicle details ready such as the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and registration numbers so we can locate your vehicle.
For security reasons, we will also need to ask you several questions to verify you are the registered owner of the vehicle or you have been authorised by the registered owner to speak to us about the vehicle.
If you prefer to write to SsangYong Australia then please email us.
Change of Ownership/Customer Details
It is important that SsangYong Australia has your correct address and contact details in the unlikely event that a vehicle Safety Recall is implemented on your vehicle, and we need to contact you.
If you purchased a used SsangYong or changed your name/address or registration details, then please let us know via one of the following methods:
Free call: 1800 431 333
(Business days 9.00am to 5pm AEST)
When contacting SsangYong please ensure you have your vehicle details ready e.g. VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and registration number so we can locate your vehicle.
SsangYong Roadside Assistance
SsangYong Roadside Assistance may be able to assist you in the following circumstances:
- Flat battery
- Out of fuel
- Vehicle lock out
- Flat tyre
- Vehicle tow
- Roadside repair
Please refer to the Terms & Conditions.
24/7 Roadside Assistance Number
1800 957 454
Have your vehicle VIN (Vehicle Identification number) & registration details ready when calling.